Petionville, Haiti

Petionville, Haiti

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Zambia

Zambia was amazing! We were able to spend three weeks working in a rural clinic in Lumezi. While in Lumezi, we were able to screen patients, do rounds with local physicians, help with deliveries, aid in surgery, counsel patients on their HIV status, and help with countless other tasks. This experience truly re-focused me on why I went into medicine.

One of the most memorable days was when five us went to a small village called Chicomeni, and we were able to set up an ARV Therapy Clinic. At the clinic we provided ARVs to almost 50 HIV positive patients. We were also able to assess their status, and we tested an additional 23. We found one patient who was HIV positive. One of our doctors and a local nurse counseled the patient on her status, and she left very thankful to know her status. I feel very fortunate to have witnessed such an intimate experience and to see how wonderfully the doctor and nurse handled the situation.

I will always remember the people of Zambia for their welcoming nature. No matter what was happening, no one was too busy to greet you with a smile, ask how you were, and walk with you for as long as you wanted. I really hope that I bring this attitude back with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment